Orval Osborne

Orval Osborne blogs here about religion, politics and urban planning issues. I also blog on creek-muskogee.livejournal.com. I like to figure out how things work.

Thursday, July 22, 2004

Chamber of Commerce - 2 minute "soapbox"

(I had them play the first several seconds of James Brown's "I Feel Good" as I walk to the podium.)

It's OK to feel good this early in the morning. I feel good because I live in San Luis Obispo, the City that I love. 

I bought this soapbox this morning because I want to ask you to vote for me, Orval Osborne, for City Council.

This is not a time for false modesty.   I am the best, most highly qualified challenger in the race.

I have served on the City Planning Commission for the past four years. Last year, when I was the Chair of the Planning Commission, we overhauled the Housing Element. Many people, from diverse backgrounds, said I was a highly effective Chair, and I got broader and deeper participation than they ever expected. We strengthened affordable housing policiesand provided more certainty to builders.

I am a leader. I was recently voted President of my church's Board of Trustees.

This may be a difficult time to be in City government. Revenues are limited, and costs are increasing. What better time to have a City Council member with solid business experience? I started my own business, Creek Environmental Laboratories, 10 years ago so I could keep my family in San Luis Obispo. Now I am proud to tell you I employ twelve full time people, and my company's sales are over a Million Dollars a year.

My goal is to enhance the quality of life for all. I am for smart growth, not dumb growth and not no growth.We need to build on what makes San Luis Obispo special. I won't promise to please everyone every time. I will promise to bring my experience, my dedication and my vision to the job. You need someone who knows the system and knows the players.Someone who knows how to work with others and get things done. I do.Please vote for me, Orval Osborne, for City Council. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home